Donors pledge over $500m aids to DR Congo

The  first-ever internationalc o n f e r e n c e  t o  h e l p  t h e Democratic  Republic of  the Congo (DRC) opened at the  United Nations Office at Geneva  on Friday amid dire  warnings  of  a  growing humanitarian crisis in the vast African country.

Despite massive natural resources and major socio-economic changes  under Government-led initiatives,  years of violence by armed groups  vying for control – along with ethnic strife in the country’s restive east, and political and ethnic instability – has created massive food insecurity, according to the UN Office  for   the  Coordination  of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

In  Geneva, UN   Emergency  Relief Coordinator  Mark   Lowcock   told donors that more  than two  million children are suffering from severe acute malnutrition in DRC  and 13  million people require assistance there urgently – double the number of those in need last year.

He added that DRC is also facing “the worst outbreak of cholera in  fifteen years,” as well as “an epidemic of sexual violence,” committed  mainly against children.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva during a break in the conference, Mr. Lowcock said that he expected to confirm more than $500 million in pledges before the end of the day.

Total needs for the DRC for this year are estimated at $1.7 billion – nearly four times more than the amount secured last year.

An additional $500 million is needed to support 807,000 Congolese refugees in neighbouring countries and more than 540,000 refugees from other countries who are in DRC.

Sigrid Kaag, Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation of the Netherlands, described the DRC as a “forgotten”  conflict that desperately needed   more support from the international community.

She highlighted the impact of gender- based violence on  girls  and  young women whom she had met on a recent visit to DRC.

Some had requested help in the form of rape kits, while others had asked how to look after the babies they  had given birth to after their sexual assault.

Asked at the press conference about the decision by the DRC authorities not to attend the pledging conference, Mark Lowcock underlined the scale of the problems in the country – and  the importance of  securing  funding  for some 150  organizations  working to support humanitarian action “under the leadership” of the DRC authorities in 20 provinces.

“I think everybody recognizes that there is a substantial crisis in the DRC, the G o v e r n m e n t  r e c o g n i z e s  t h a t themselves, which [acknowledges] their o w n  v e r y  s u b s t a n t i a l  f i n a n c i a l commitment to it,” he said, in reference to its $100  million pledge to provide additional aid.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*